Heart

Heart
We Love First Grade!

Friday, March 13, 2015

Surprise Visit from our Pen Pals


First grade has mail!
In first grade it is always a struggle to teach students the difference between Mrs. and Miss. Often my students say good morning Mrs. Pedrini. I always reply back with, "I will be sure to tell my mom you said good morning." The kiddos always laugh and correct themselves.

My class has often talked about meeting my parents. Word always gets around that they surprise my class each year and always bring special treats. I thought it would be fun for my class to get to know them a little before they came to visit.

One of first grade's writing standards is to learn to write a friendly letter. In years past, I've had pen pals in Alaska but this year, I thought it would be fun to write Mr. and Mrs. Pedrini. My class all giggled with the thought but they were very excited to write them and they had many fun questions to ask them.

After we wrote the letters, I stuck a sticker picture of each student on the top of the letter and in sent them in the mail. We didn't tell Mr. and Mrs. Pedrini that we mailed them letters. We wanted it to be a surprise. My mom called me and she was so surprised. Not only surprised from recieving the letters but because the letters were written so well. She said they had wonderful penmanship and she was shocked by how well they wrote the letters. Her response at the end of the phone call was, "well, I better start writing these letter and find some cool paper and stickers for them." haha! I think she excelled on the sticker department! She also thought it was so neat to see a photo of them students while reading the letters.

My parents playing a math card game with first grade.
A few days after Mr. and Mrs, Pedrini recieved their letters, we were surprised by special visitors at the end of the week. They came with mail and special treats! First grade was so excited to read their letters and so thrilled about their treat bags. They were filled with Mrs. Pedrini's favorite candy (Sponge Bob Crabby Pattys), spike balls, insect crawlers, and a pencil. Each student had them guess their names. We shared a few things about our class with them and then invited them to play our new favorite game (I have, who has). My parents were so impressed by their behavior and how intelligent first graders are. They are excited to come back and visit and maybe even volunteer.

This was such a fun experience and I am so thankful my parents were just as thrilled to be part of it!

First grade and Mr. and Mrs. Pedrini


Each student read their letters out loud under the document camera.

Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Pedrini for writing us back and for the special treat bags!


No comments:

Post a Comment